Each season, the Bosque del Apache offers unique bird and wildlife viewing opportunities. Peak visitation occurs in winter when bald eagles and thousand of sandhill cranes and snow geese flock to the fields and marshes.
El Camino Real Historic Trail Site is one of the most important legacies of the Spanish settlers, who arrived in New Mexico in 1598. The Site houses a theater, classroom, gift shop, outdoor patios, an amphitheater, and an observation deck.
Flanking the Plaza in Socorro’s historic district, the beautiful Elfego Baca Heritage Park is a great spot to learn about local history as it has several monuments relaying stories of Socorro, as well as a beautiful art history wheel.
Buy fresh, locally-grown produce direct from the farmer. Featuring occasional entertainment, this friendly gathering is open July through October on Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings on the Historic Plaza.
Part of the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument, Gran Quivera was an important trade Center before and after the Spanish “entrada.” Apache raids, drought, and famine caused the Pueblo Indians to abandon the site in 1672.
The Hammel Museum started as a beer garden and, in the intervening century, became successively a brewery, an ice plant, a soda bottling plant, and finally ended as an active industry still making ice.
More than 600,000 books, periodicals, government documents, microforms, maps, videos and computer files are held in the 54,000-square foot, three-story library building on the northeast corner of the Tech campus.
The Rio Grande is a spectacular sight! Socorro County is blessed with fifteen (15) riverine parks and hiking trails, including Island Riverine Park located at the east end of town at the end of Otero Street.
There is nothing better than fresh New Mexico chile produced in the rich farm lands of the Rio Grande, and the Socorro area has many local family farmers who raise more than five varieties of green chile.
The mission of the City of Socorro Heritage and Visitor Center is to create a publicly owned facility to preserve, display, and maintain valuable items of historical significance; therefore, our heritage.